Wednesday 8 October 2014

Avengers Civil War! Marvel and Sony to Do Deal for Spider-Man?


Hello, fellow freaks and geeks! Are you all sitting down? You'd better be sitting down. Because I have got SOME NEWS for you. Not just some news, but SOME NEWS
Remember a few weeks ago, I speculated Marvel Studios is working toward a Civil War storyline and systematically made a case for it, up to and including saying that Sony and Marvel were almost certainly quietly negotiating a deal for Marvel to regain Spider-Man's rights. Now, most readers were supportive and excited about the possibility I laid out, but some readers, well...some made it perfectly clear they thought my intelligence level and journalistic integrity were somewhere south of "you stupid cow."
But Drew McWeeny over at HitFix is a solidly reliable source when it comes to the things he reports. And this part from one of his articles published today seems to confirm what I predicted three weeks ago:
Whatever Marvel's future is, the Fox deal remains a thorn in their side, a sequester of some of their biggest characters that looks unlikely to ever change.

Sony, on the other hand, may be doing things the opposite way. While I can't get the confirmations I need to verify the story, I'm hearing that there are some very cool "Spider-Man" plans being discussed that would help Sony refocus their enormously important franchise while also opening up some connections in the onscreen Marvel movie universe that would blow fandom's minds. Will it work out? I don't know. I would love to be able to state for sure that it's happening. What seems clear from what I've heard is that Marvel wants to be able to play with all of their characters, and if they can make that work creatively and on a corporate level, they will, and that means the world gets bigger again.
Granted, until either Marvel or Sony comes right out with an official statement, this will all be speculation. But still, the biggest hurdle to us ever getting the Civil War storyline as part of the MCU was the sticking point of Spider-Man's rights belonging to Sony. This is just one more bit of evidence to confirm what I've been saying for a long time now - at some point, we will be seeing Marvel Civil War played out on the silver screen. 
I'm just Cassandra, yelling prophecies into the void over here. Don't mind me, people.

No comments:

Post a Comment